Allergies and a range of skin conditions affect cats and dogs just as they do people. When symptoms don’t respond to treatment, our board-certified veterinary dermatologist can help. Dr. Loren Candito, DVM, DACVD, has extensive advanced training in the diagnosis and treatment of allergic disorders as well as the treatment of disorders of the ears, skin, nails, and hair.
While your general practice veterinarian can address many routine skin and ear issues, certain conditions can be difficult to diagnose and treat. In these cases, a veterinary dermatology specialist can help to diagnose your pet’s condition and set up a plan for long-term management, if necessary.
SPECIFIC DISORDERS INCLUDE SKIN AND EAR ISSUES ASSOCIATED WITH:
- allergies (food allergy, environmental allergies, contact allergy, flea allergy)
- skin infections (bacterial, fungal, parasitic, atypical infections)
- autoimmune skin disease
- skin cancer
- endocrine diseases of the skin
- alopecia (hair loss) disorders
- recurrent or non-resolving ear infections
- conditions affecting the nails.
Veterinary dermatologists have specialized training in procedures including but not limited to:
- Skin scraping
- Skin biopsies for dermatohistopathology
- Video otoscopy, myringotomy
- Small mass removals without general anesthesia
- Environmental allergy testing via intradermal testing
- Fungal and bacterial cultures