SAFETY PROTOCOL REGARDING COVID-19
Thank you for trusting Portland Veterinary Emergency and Specialty Care. Our goal is to stay healthy so we can continue to care for your pets. We appreciate your cooperation with the following policies:
You Must Be Healthy to Bring Your Pet to an Appointment
- If you are exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19 — such as fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion, nausea or vomiting or diarrhea — please reschedule your routine appointment. If your pet must be seen, please stay home and send your pet to the appointment with a healthy individual.
- If you have traveled to an unexempt state (i.e. any state other than New Hampshire or Vermont) within the past 10 days, please stay home and send your pet to the appointment with another healthy individual — unless you have been PCR tested negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours of the scheduled appointment.
Curbside Appointments — What to Do When You Arrive
- Park: Please pull into a parking space and stay in your car. Each parking spot is numbered (unless signs have been removed due to snow).
- Call: Call us (at 207-878-3121 option 1 at Warren Ave or at 207-780-0271 at Congress Street) and tell the client service representative (CSR) your name, your pet’s name, your mobile phone number, and your parking spot number or car description.
- Fill out form: The CSR will ask you if you’ve completed the online Client Information Sheet form. If you haven’t filled out the form, you can do so online, or you can grab a printed version from the clipboard by the front door (under the dome tent at Warren Avenue). Paper forms can be left in the appropriate spot on the table. Please wear a mask at all times.
- Await our call: It is important for you to keep your mobile phone with you — and to stay off your phone — so you can answer when we call. The technician assigned to your pet will call you to gather information, such as history and clinical signs.
- Bring your pet to the door: The technician will ask you to get your pet out of your car when the doctor is ready to see your pet, and may ask you to walk your pet to a specific spot to meet them. The technician will come outside to get your pet, and will bring your pet into the office.
- Return to your car: The doctor will call you after the examination, or come outside to speak with you, to discuss the examination findings and treatment plan suggestions. You will be invoiced directly from your car, and given any prescriptions when your pet is returned to you.
Wear a mask and maintain a 6-foot social distance from our staff
When our technicians, CSRs and doctors come to speak to you, get your pet, or gather forms, it is imperative that you wear a mask and maintain social distancing.
Payments will be taken over phone (credit card, Care Credit, Scratch Pay). If you wish to pay by cash or check, please let the CSR know. Your invoice will be emailed to you.
There is a port-a-potty available in our parking lot at our Warren Avenue location. At both of our locations, there is an Irving Gas Station nearby that allows people to enter to use their restroom.